Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Registering Bishops

catch a falling star Pictures, Images and Photos One of my assignments here is to register Stake Presidents and Bishops on ldsjobs.org. It has been a real experience trying to get these busy men to take time to do it. When they do, or even promise to, I tell them that they will get stars on their chart in heaven and that I will personally stand at the pearly gate to hand out the stars. We have a good laugh as they tell me they need them, but many still remain unregistered. I have all four of my Stake Presidents (Tallahassee, FL, Memphis North, TN, Jackson, MS, Alexandria, LA) registered, but Branch Pres and Bishops,well there are more of them.I believe that I have finally come upon a way that seems to work. I call them and ask if we can set up an appointment when they can be at their computer for 15-20 minutes and I will walk them through it. I have five appointments set up from calls I made today. They all know who I am from instructive e-mails that I've sent and after I say "This is Sister Dustin" and start to say from the LDS Employment Resource Services they interrupt me and say say Hi, how are you? Usually then they add I know I need to do it, or I know I'm dragging my feet, or some such. One Bishop today after I start explaining that I was Sister Dustin from ... He said "Is there another one?" My funniest response today was one who said "I have 30 unanswered e-mails and half of them are from you". I told him if he'd just do it and give his Ward Employment Specialist rights I'd stop bugging him and the WES can do the work for him from there. We joked around about it and he agreed. The Bishops I serve are generally very well educated, but still sort of country men. Some have PhD's, some administrators of Universities,bigwig military, doctors, attorneys, etc. But the southern accent helps me feel less intimidated and free to be myself.

1 comment:

  1. You actually are a sweet angel
    or should I say the good fairy!
    Your humor makes everyone happy.
    It makes me smile when
    I read your blog
    I love you sis

    ReplyDelete