
I had a wonderful experience on Wednesday. Sister Beckstand and I went out teaching together. She is from Centerville, UT, attended BYU studying Social Psychology with an emphasis in gender identity and has coached girls softball at Lone Peak High. She has been serving in Clinton, MS and was just recently transferred here to train the new greenie Sister Hills. She is learning the area, and teaching techniques from the remarkable Sister Winters who sadly will be leaving us in 5 weeks.
Sister Beckstrand and I had the most incredible visit with a man named David who flung open the door and invited us in when we asked if Grace was home. Grace, the girl who had been referred, was recently married and no longer lives at address. David is here visiting his sister who is somehow related to Grace. David asked us to sit down and asked if we were Mormons. Then he told us how members of the Mormon church had been so wonderful to help his grandma, asking nothing in return. He asked if we would tell him what we believe. He said "There was this man, John Adams that found some glasses, right?" So Sister Beckstand told him that his name was actually Joseph Smith and then beautifully told Joseph's story from memory.I added that even as a child I was comforted to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ were two separate beings and that they had forms. We talked about the prophets in the Book of Mormon as well as continuing revelation and succession to President Monson. Sister Beckstand then asked him to read from the introduction of the Book of Mormon "We invited all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost." He said "If you will let me have that book I will read it." We told him about the Savior's visit to the America's. He asked what he taught them. She said the same things he taught in Jerusalem and then had him read the account from 3 Nephi. He asked about baptism and authority. So we taught about the apostasy and the need for the restoration. Oh my gosh... the room was filled with the Spirit. His sister returned and he needed to go. All four of us joined hands and had prayer together. We made an appointment to return. As we got in the car she told me that this was the first time in her nine months as a missionary she has ever been asked for a Book of Mormon. It was just simply an amazing experience.
How special. So often we forget about the Holy Ghost. And yet he is such an important part of the Godhead..... My favorite Janice Kapp Perry song is " The still small voice"
ReplyDeleteI pray, I listen,I hope I might hear, His voice, a message, an answer so clear. I pray, I ponder, I plead with my faith, And then in patience upon Him I wait. Oh why won't He speak in a thundering voice and give me the answers I seek? Or grant me a vision of what I must do? But then comes the answer so sweet. Like the gentle rays of the morning sun, It warms my soul and I know. By the power of the spirit my heart seems to hear it . The still small voice of the Holy Ghost.
I pray, I listen, my soul is in need. I yearn for comfort for I feel so weak. I pray I ponder, I wonder my fate. And then in patience upon Him I wait. Oh why won't He send down a mighty host, or even one angel for me? Or heavenly choirs to sing peace to my soul? But then comes the answer I seek. Like the gentle rays of the morning sun, it warms my soul and I know. By the power of the spirit, my heart seems to he it. The still small voice of the Holy Ghost. It's message more sure than a heavenly host, The still small voice of the Holy Ghost.
I use to wonder why the song said a message MORE SURE than a heavenly host
It seems like a heavenly host would surly be some thing you would always remember. But I think that's the point...as time goes by we do forget. But the Holy Ghost is Always there. If we are living as we should..He will always be there to remind us of our Fathers love and truth. What an awesome responsibility He has. I love that we're not left alone...ever...It makes life's test a little easier. I love you Sharon
Thanks Linda, I love these words of Elder Dallin H. Oaks: The original Apostles were eyewitnesses to the ministry and resurrection of the Savior. But an eyewitness was not enough. Even the witness and testimony of the original Apostles had to be rooted in the testimony of the Holy Ghost.President Joseph Fielding Smith has told us that the witness of the Holy Ghost makes an impression on our soul that is more significant than 'a visitation of an angel'"
ReplyDeleteGeneral Conference October 1990